Ep 24 is a special NHD edition that explores the pandemic from the perspective of healthcare administration, evidence based care and planning. (Otherwise known as the ‘Zoomami’ edition. Advance apologies for the Zoom recording quality which is a little echo-y.)
1. QUARANTINE QUANDARY (3:34)
We wade through tales of pandemic planning and execution, through the lens of the Australian pandemic trajectory. There is much to learn – about change, planning, best practice in practice, how the 80% rule comes into its own – but will we learn it?
- What can we learn about how prepared we were for this pandemic in health & human services?
- What lessons are there for our normal safety & quality improvement roles in the following areas:
- When your job suddenly changes to “pandemic planner”
- Change – extreme rapid change.
- The 80:20 rule in practice
- Practical rather than theoretical learning
- When best practice is not universally agreed
2. THE POINT (20:25)
What’s the impact of COVID-19 on consumers and person-centred care? Get the ‘drift’?
3. TLDR: Too Long Didn’t Read
Who are we kidding – no-one’s got time for this in the middle of a pandemic!
4. DRDR: Did Read – Do Read (28:25)
Just in case you’re in need of more pandemic-related reading:
- Jones offers to send listeners a literature bibliography of around 200 COVID-19 research articles – email if you’d like this: Contact Jones: email@example.com
- We pinpoint our favourite news report in the week before we recorded NHD 24 (because it’s a stats fest):
And here’s a more updated version for the UK:
5. QUALITY HACK (32:30)
Our unconventional tips for working from home – there’s an Xbox in there somewhere!
School timetable app: “School Chimes” (ios).
6. FAAAQQS: Frequently Asked and Answered Quality Questions (46:15)
Great question from Lorraine on standards auditing in a pandemic. Is it a great answer though? You decide!
7. OTHER BITS:
- Exciting conference coming up next year – and No Harm Done is on the program! Better Care Everywhere – healthcare variation in practice: https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/healthcare-variation – 4-5 February 2021.
- New free ebook from Balding: ‘Three Essential Strengths for Quality Leaders.’ Access here: https://qualityclass.kartra.com/page/QLeaderStrengthseBook
- CPD hours – would you like to earn 1 CPD hour for every time you listen to our podcast? If so, let Jones know we can investigate producing a product for this: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Talk to Us:
- Leave a question on our website: www.noharmdonepodcast.com
- Twitter handles : @qualcat @CathyBalding
- Link In with us on LinkedIn.