Ep 22 finds Jones and Balding cogitating on value based care. What’s it all about? Is it a fad? Old thinking wrapped up in new language? Or is it exactly what we need to break through to next level care and service quality? We shall see…
1. QUALITY QUANDARY (4:26) What is value in health and human services?
ACSQHC State of Patient Safety and Quality in Australian Hospitals
Value in Healthcare Interview (17:12) with IHPA (Independent Hospitals Pricing Authority) experts – Joanne Fitzgerald (Executive Director Policy & Classifications) and Sarah Neville (Senior Advisor)
In December, IHPA published its Pricing Framework for Australian Public Hospital Services 2020-21.
2. THE POINT (32:30)
PaRIS (PROMS) https://www.oecd.org/health/paris.htm
Contact: Michael van den Berg: firstname.lastname@example.org
What can we learn from patients’ perspectives on the quality and safety of hospital care? Bev Fitzsimons Jocelyn Cornwel. BMJ Quality & Safety 2018; 27 671-672 Published Online First: 05 Apr 2018. https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-07/smh-epi072318.php
3. TLDR (39:30)
Raymond, K. Reforming for Value: Opportunities for Outcome Focused National Health Policy. Deeble Institute Issues Brief No. 33. Canberra: Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association; 2019. p. 30
IHPA/KPMG paper on Value Based Care
4. DRDR – Did Read – Do Read (42:00)
Raymond K, Hegde S Dental Health Services Victoria: Journey to Value Based Healthcare. Deeble Institute Perspectives Brief No. 7Canberra: Australian Healthcare and Hospitals Association; 2020. p. 15.
Jayakumar P, Bozic KJ. Reduced Spending With Mandatory Bundled Payments for Joint Replacements. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2019;179(7):932-3. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2019.0486
5. OTHER BITS (47:30)
- Exciting conference coming up – and No Harm Done is on the program!: Better Care Everywhere – healthcare variation in practice: https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/healthcare-variation
- New free ebook from Balding: ‘Three Essential Strengths for Quality Leaders.’ Access here: https://qualityclass.kartra.com/page/QLeaderStrengthseBook
- CPD hours – would you like to earn 1 CPD hour for every time you listen to our podcast? If so, let Jones know we can investigate producing a (value based!) product for this: email@example.com
- Talk to Us: